This is an entry-level position that needs the satisfactory completion of a mandatory training so as to advance to Claim Rep, Inside Property-Hub position. This position targets developing skills for evaluating, investigate, negotiate and resolve claims on losses of lesser value and complexity. To render quality claim handling across the claim life cycle (customer contacts, evaluation, investigation, coverage, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintenance of full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state-specific regulations. As part of the hiring process, this position will demand you to complete a pre-employment assessment online. Further information relating to the assessment including an accommodation process, if required, will be offered when your candidacy is approved for further consideration.
This job operates under Close Supervision: Work is reviewed at different steps along the way.
Primary Job Duties / Responsibilities
Completes mandatory training program that includes the overall instruction, exposure, as well as preparation for employees to progress to the next level position. It is a juxtapose of the online, classroom, virtual, and on-the-job training. The training may demand travel. The on the job training consists of practice and the execution of these core assignments:
- Handling 1st party Property claims of low to moderate complexity and severity as required.
- Establishes the accurate scope of damages for building and contents losses and use as a basis for written estimates and/or computer-assisted estimates.
- Broad-scale use of innovative technologies.
- Investigates and evaluates all related facts so as to determine coverage, damages, and liability of first-party property claims under different policies.
- Secures recorded or written statements as necessary.
- Conduct timely and correct claim and expense reserves.
- Determines accurate settlement amount depending on independent judgment, computer-assisted building and/or contents estimation, an estimate of the actual cash value and replacement value, validation, contractor estimate appraisals, applying applicable limits and deductibles including work product of Independent Adjusters.
- Negotiates and communicates claim settlements within limits of authority.
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights with any other complex correspondence to insureds.
- Accurately assesses the extent of damages and manages damages through the use of cost evaluation tools.
- Ensure all quality standards including expectations per Knowledge Guides are met.
- Maintains a reliable diary system and document claim file activities with respect to established procedures.
- Manage file inventory for a timely resolution of cases.
- Handle files based on state regulations, where applicable.
- Render fine customer service to meet the insured’s needs, agent and various internal and external customers or business partners.
- Identifies when to refer claims to the Special Investigations Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Executes administrative functions like time off reporting, expense accounts, etc. as required.
- Provides multi-line support in response to the needs of workforce management; as well as claim handling for Auto, GL, WC, and several areas of the business as required.
- For you to perform the key functions of this job, acquisition, and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be demanded to comply with requirements of state and Travelers. Generally, license(s) must be received within three months of beginning the job and secure ongoing continuing education credits as required.
For you to progress to Claim Representative, a Trainee must prove proficiency in the above-outlined skills. Proficiency will be confirmed by appropriate management, based on established standards.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- GED or High School Diploma with 1-year experience of customer service OR Bachelor’s Degree required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- Bachelors Degree needed or at least 2 years of work and/or customer service related experience will be preferred.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Proven ownership attitude and customer-centric response to all given tasks is basic
- Written and verbal communication skills are intermediate
- Attention to detail and ensuring accuracy is basic
- Able to work in a high volume, fast-paced setting managing multiple priorities is basic
- Analytical Thinking is a basic
- Judgment or Decision Making is a basic
Weekend work hours – Occasionally
Overnight work hours – Occasionally
Holiday work hours (Federal and religious) – Occasionally
Travel – Occasionally
Flexibility and readiness to work extended workday hours with intermittent weekend hours given the volume of work with given short notice.
Handles standard office equipment – Consistently Sitting (can stand at will) – Consistently Standing – Occasionally Utilize Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key – Constantly Working in a restricted or confined area – Occasionally
Strong reputation, passionate people and unending opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial power and consistent record of excellent operating returns are regarded as security for our customers – and good opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be committed and a workplace in which you can truly make an impact.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.